Head Brewer - Sawmill Brewery
Sawmill is one of New Zealand’s leading craft breweries. We are focussed on continuing our growth
in the New Zealand market. We are proud to be New Zealand’s first and only B Corp certified
brewery - working to transform the global economy to benefit all people, communities, and the
Our production team is a high performance, quality driven team focussed on delivering the best
quality beer to the people in NZ. We are seeking a highly skilled and creative full-time head brewer
(minimum 40 hours per week) to direct all brewing processes including raw material selection,
recipe development, troubleshooting and finished product quality assurance/quality control procedures.
The Head Brewer is responsible for:
• Directing the brewing operations.
• Lead Product Development – developing beer recipes, concepts and descriptions and sharing
with the wider team.
• Lead improvements in brewery best practise guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures.
• Lead the sensory team to help analyse beer throughout the brewing process and post
• Ensure all brewing ingredients are ordered so brewing can meet the production plan.
• Ensure brewing records are continually developed, completed and maintained.
• Reporting and monitoring plant and equipment condition, assisting in maintaining machines
based on OEM maintenance practices.
• Lead Quality performance of the brewery from people to product, with weekly QA reporting
to the relevant team.
• Ensure beer production is completed to meet the production schedule as set out by the
• Ensuring all process tasks are completed to the highest standard of quality and accuracy.
• Leading food safety and quality standards for all products to ensure consumers have an
excellent experience with every Sawmill beer we deliver.
• Manage ingredient selections and supplier relationships.
Essential Skills, Abilities and Experience
• Highly detail orientated.
• Excellent multi-tasking abilities.
• Advanced understanding of modern brewing technology and best practises.
• Advanced understanding of all brewing ingredients.
• Minimum 7 years production brewing experience.
• Biology/Technology or engineering based tertiary qualification or Brewing Qualification.
• Beer sensory evaluation and fault training.
• Experience with problem solving in both a structured and spontaneous environment.
• High level of mechanical skills.
• Competent numerical, literary and computer skills.
• A level of physical fitness to be able to perform all tasks over a full working day and week.
• Decisive decision making and communication.
• Able to work independently.
• Forklift operation licence.
• A winning attitude.
• Open and honest with an ability to be vulnerable.
• Common sense.
• Enthusiasm and passion.
• Attention to detail.
• Keen eye for continuous improvement.
• Desire to learn and upskill.
• Have an owners mindset – would I make this decision if it were my business.
Location of work – Matakana, New Zealand
Salary Band $85K - $95K
Please apply in writing to email@example.com. A full job description is available upon request.